During the past campaign Sheriff Daniel stated that he would not be able to increase hours of patrol, so what changed?
Our Sheriff failed to reveal the truth behind why we are increasing hours at this time. Don’t get me wrong, I campaigned that I would have increased the hours to 24/7 within six months of taking office and I sincerely believe that was possible with the current level of funding.
The difference is that Sheriff Daniel had no intention to increase the hours and only did so because he found himself forced to do that.
Here’s the facts:
- Sheriff Daniel DID NOT include expanded hours in his 2019-2020 budget
- Sheriff Daniel had to request additional funding of $200,000 for the county commissioners in order to add the needed dispatchers (If he knew he was expanding hours this would have been in the 2019-2020 budget).
- Oregon State Police contacted the county and informed them that they would no longer respond to calls for service (other than state roadways) effective January 1, 2020
- Sheriff Daniel only expanded his hours because O.S.P. force his hand.
- Clearly the staff and funding was available and Sheriff Daniel could have provided this service sooner if he had wanted to.